2012-01-29

146. Book Sculpture Star

It worked, finally! This is the project I've been struggling with for days:


Another book that was of no real use anymore (a several years old workshop programme) got put to a new use: decoration. Here's a side view of it:


And this is its story: My mother used to make such book sculptures a while ago and I spent quite some time trying to figure out how I could make one that would look like a star. I did, eventually, and folded approximately 100 sheets (200 pages - that took a few hours...), only to find that the glued spine was impossible to bend. I got only half a circle. :(
Some tips from my mother (and the reassurance that she had somehow made it work before - even with glued spines), made me try again and I sat down with a knife to scrape a part of the glue off - as much as possible without the pages falling off - and scratch thin fissures into it, hoping it would bend then.
The result was better than before but still not a proper circle. I had to use a lot of glue and fixate it over night so it would stay in shape. Now it does and I'm quite amazed at the result! Two days ago, I really couldn't imagine it to ever look like this. :)

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! Glad you didn't give up! This is really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, how innovative. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Das ist wunderschön geworden!
    Lena, du hast Ausdauer - du gibst nicht auf - hast immer wieder Ideen, wie du weiterkommst - du holst dir Hilfe - findest dann deine eigene Lösung...und genießt das Ergebnis.

    Ich liebe den Stern!

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, everyone! Makes me feel even better. :)

    ReplyDelete